SPA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Single parents 'must seek work to keep benefits'

+4
Syl
CannyX
Dean
Tytonidae
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Single parents 'must seek work to keep benefits' Empty Single parents 'must seek work to keep benefits'

Post by Tytonidae Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:29 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/6432104/Single-parents-must-seek-work-to-keep-benefits.html#

Do you think this is a good reform, or ought single parents be allowed to stay at home unfettered Wink
Tytonidae
Tytonidae
Supermod
Supermod

Back to top Go down

Single parents 'must seek work to keep benefits' Empty Re: Single parents 'must seek work to keep benefits'

Post by Dean Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:32 pm

Some single parents have no choice but to stay at home, especially if the kiddies are young....
Dean
Dean
Most excellent member
Most excellent member

Back to top Go down

Single parents 'must seek work to keep benefits' Empty Re: Single parents 'must seek work to keep benefits'

Post by CannyX Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:34 pm

Tytonidae wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/6432104/Single-parents-must-seek-work-to-keep-benefits.html#

Do you think this is a good reform, or ought single parents be allowed to stay at home unfettered Wink
for many years now this new law has been talked about. so it does not come as a shock, single parents have had enough time to get used to the idea.
i think it will help to dismantle the benefits culture, BUT it will only work for mums who genuinely want to work.

now, OP, here is the one million dollar question:
WHERE ARE ALL THESE EXTRA JOBS GONNA COME FROM????
CannyX
CannyX
Supermod
Supermod

http://www.don't.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:41 pm

Personally I like the idea of parents being at home with their children till they start Senior school. Thats in an ideal world though, and lots of mothers dont want to do that, even if financially they have the choice.

I think if their benefits are being cut, workplaces should make it more widespread, to arrange people to work more convienient hours, to fit around school time. I know some firms do this already.

School holidays are a huge problem though. In my day, the ideal job for many mums was to be a ' dinner lady' at school. Unfortunately, there are far more kids than vacancies in that field.

If changes are being made, re benefits, the Government is going to have to make child minding, nurseries, day care ect, more affordable and accessable. Opening up schools for supervised after hours activitys would be one step foreward.

Syl
Most excellent member
Most excellent member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Syl wrote:Personally I like the idea of parents being at home with their children till they start Senior school. Thats in an ideal world though, and lots of mothers dont want to do that, even if financially they have the choice.

I think if their benefits are being cut, workplaces should make it more widespread, to arrange people to work more convienient hours, to fit around school time. I know some firms do this already.

School holidays are a huge problem though. In my day, the ideal job for many mums was to be a ' dinner lady' at school. Unfortunately, there are far more kids than vacancies in that field.

If changes are being made, re benefits, the Government is going to have to make child minding, nurseries, day care ect, more affordable and accessable. Opening up schools for supervised after hours activitys would be one step foreward.

My mum was a dinner lady at my junior school and always made sure i got extra lol. Embarassed outahere woohoo laughing3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytonidae Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:47 pm

I too prefer parent at home whilst the child is very young but this proposal seems reasonable.
I wonder if it's aimed at changing the thinking a bit on this having another, then another kid to provide continual means of support!
Tytonidae
Tytonidae
Supermod
Supermod

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthy Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:51 pm

Its more government twaddle to make the poor worse off. If they slash benefits its the kids who will suffer besides where are these jobs going to come from - out of thin air?

Another reason why nu-Labour are as bad as the Tories Twisted Evil
Truthy
Truthy
Major contributor
Major contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:59 pm

I do despair though that one parent familys seem to be the norm now. If people PLANNED their familys, instead of breeding thoughtlessly, their would be a lot less one parent familys, so a lot less people depending on benefits.

Syl
Most excellent member
Most excellent member

Back to top Go down

Post by CannyX Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:59 pm

Truthy wrote:Its more government twaddle to make the poor worse off. If they slash benefits its the kids who will suffer besides

where are these jobs going to come from - out of thin air?
exactly!! same thing with the tories, who want nearly all claimants thrown off sickness benefit and on to the jobs market. they all talk the talk, i'd like to see them walk the walk. sickness benefit malingerers annoy me, but where are these jobs gonna come from??
CannyX
CannyX
Supermod
Supermod

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytonidae Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:03 pm

Syl wrote:I do despair though that one parent familys seem to be the norm now. If people PLANNED their familys, instead of breeding thoughtlessly, their would be a lot less one parent familys, so a lot less people depending on benefits.

It's where my thinking is S yl. Something has changed in the mind-set of people and its high time it was changed back!
Tytonidae
Tytonidae
Supermod
Supermod

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytonidae Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:05 pm

There are jobs, anyway it would be no reason to stay on the sick Canny, they must at least seek work...
Tytonidae
Tytonidae
Supermod
Supermod

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthy Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:06 pm

CannyX wrote:
Truthy wrote:Its more government twaddle to make the poor worse off. If they slash benefits its the kids who will suffer besides

where are these jobs going to come from - out of thin air?
exactly!! same thing with the tories, who want nearly all claimants thrown off sickness benefit and on to the jobs market. they all talk the talk, i'd like to see them walk the walk. sickness benefit malingerers annoy me, but where are these jobs gonna come from??

If you knew how hard it was too claim sickness benefit then you'd know that the stories the government and the media portray of the vast majority of people on sickness benefit is a false one. They pick on a handful of cases and then portray all claimants to be in this category. These remember are the lying scumbags who fiddled their expenses Twisted Evil
Truthy
Truthy
Major contributor
Major contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Tytonidae wrote:
Syl wrote:I do despair though that one parent familys seem to be the norm now. If people PLANNED their familys, instead of breeding thoughtlessly, their would be a lot less one parent familys, so a lot less people depending on benefits.

It's where my thinking is S yl. Something has changed in the mind-set of people and its high time it was changed back!

Back to my old mantra....Educate. Single parents 'must seek work to keep benefits' Icon_smile

Syl
Most excellent member
Most excellent member

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthy Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:10 pm

Tytonidae wrote:There are jobs, anyway it would be no reason to stay on the sick Canny, they must at least seek work...

Where in La-La land? Rolling Eyes
Truthy
Truthy
Major contributor
Major contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytonidae Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:13 pm

Morrissons, Tesco Laughing
Tytonidae
Tytonidae
Supermod
Supermod

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthy Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Tytonidae wrote:

Syl - In many cases people do plan their families but with divorce and relationship break-up so common it is no wonder there are so many one-parent families. They are not all iresponsible young women as the media like to portray them. BLAME THE MEDIA AND THE POLITICIANS WHO CREATED THE SITUATION IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Tytonidae - People's thinking will never change back to the way it was. We have the culture that the politicians, media and capitalists created and now as usual they attack the poor and defenceless when their vision of society has gone wrong. BLAME THE MEDIA AND THE POLITICIANS WHO CREATED THE SITUATION IN THE FIRST PLACE!
Truthy
Truthy
Major contributor
Major contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthy Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Tytonidae wrote:Morrissons, Tesco Laughing

None of my local supermarkets appear to be short of staff. I doubt if they could all find work there Rolling Eyes
Truthy
Truthy
Major contributor
Major contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CannyX Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:22 pm

Truthy wrote:
Tytonidae wrote:

Syl - In many cases people do plan their families but with divorce and relationship break-up so common it is no wonder there are so many one-parent families. They are not all iresponsible young women as the media like to portray them. BLAME THE MEDIA AND THE POLITICIANS WHO CREATED THE SITUATION IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Tytonidae - People's thinking will never change back to the way it was. We have the culture that the politicians, media and capitalists created and now as usual they attack the poor and defenceless when their vision of society has gone wrong.

BLAME THE MEDIA AND THE POLITICIANS WHO CREATED THE SITUATION IN THE FIRST PLACE!
you sound a bit cross today truthy love, what's up?? Laughing
CannyX
CannyX
Supermod
Supermod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:24 pm

CannyX wrote:
Truthy wrote:
Tytonidae wrote:

Tytonidae - People's thinking will never change back to the way it was. We have the culture that the politicians, media and capitalists created and now as usual they attack the poor and defenceless when their vision of society has gone wrong.

BLAME THE MEDIA AND THE POLITICIANS WHO CREATED THE SITUATION IN THE FIRST PLACE!

He's lost his black fleece.....
Dean
Dean
Most excellent member
Most excellent member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytonidae Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:25 pm

Truthy - I've always been a wooly lefty but there's NOTHING poor and defenceless about the poor and defenceless in this country!! You condemn them to this unaspirational way of life with your blaming and excusing. Encourage them to have pride and get back in touch with life and work because its a huge, wonderful world out there, but despite their 50" TV, the offspring of these benefit culture families will never experience it!
Tytonidae
Tytonidae
Supermod
Supermod

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthy Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Tytonidae wrote:Truthy - I've always been a wooly lefty but there's NOTHING poor and defenceless about the poor and defenceless in this country!! You condemn them to this unaspirational way of life with your blaming and excusing. Encourage them to have pride and get back in touch with life and work because its a huge, wonderful world out there, but despite their 50" TV, the offspring of these benefit culture families will never experience it!

From reading some of your posts you don't come across as a wooly lefty to me but more like a Telegraph reading Thatcherite. Like your views on immigration you seem to be out of touch with reality. While the poverty in Britain is not on a par with the developing world it is still by British standards poverty. I live on a council estate and i'd love to know where all these people with 50" TV's are. Most people I know who are on benefits struggle from one week to the next often going without what the rest take for granted. Neither do they lack pride they just get on with life the best they can.

We have amongst the lowest level of benefits in western Europe and one of the reasons you see so many immigrants working today while others sit idle on benefits is because wages for ordinary peple are often little better. That's the price to pay for Thatcher's privatisation and smashing of the Unions in the 1980's and the madness of nu-Labour's immigration policies.
Truthy
Truthy
Major contributor
Major contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthy Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:41 pm

CannyX wrote:
Truthy wrote:
Tytonidae wrote:

IT'S THE WRONG TIME OF THE MONTH Laughing Laughing Laughing
Truthy
Truthy
Major contributor
Major contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Truthy wrote:
Tytonidae wrote:

Tytonidae - People's thinking will never change back to the way it was. We have the culture that the politicians, media and capitalists created and now as usual they attack the poor and defenceless when their vision of society has gone wrong. BLAME THE MEDIA AND THE POLITICIANS WHO CREATED THE SITUATION IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Some one parent familys are there through divorce, death, or other circumstance beyond their control, I know that. Many are wonderful parents. I was brought up by a solo parent, and she did a marvelous job of rearing us, and juggling 2 or 3 cleaning jobs at the same time. She did,nt ask for or recieve state handouts.

Many one parent familys today, have one or more children, with different dads, some dont even know who the dad is!! I dont blame the media, I blame irressponsible parenting, and also bad teaching. Educate our kids to KNOW that there is a world out there, for them. Show them that there is more to life than pushing a buggy up the high street, with a couple of kids in tow.

Not all kids can be clever and expect to go to University. But sometimes I think the mainstream kids are undervalued, so they have no faith in themselves, and no future to look foreward to.

Syl
Most excellent member
Most excellent member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytonidae Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:48 pm

That's because there's a changing reality on the issues. You're stuck in the past Truthy. I believe in a decent welfare system, vote for it, argue for it, I've marched against and slated the same things as you;Thatcherism is a dirty word in my mouth but it's time you had a wake up call because there's an underclass in this country that takes the piss!! - and what do my view on immigration have to do with the rest of the thrust of your post - wanting free movement of people isn't right wing Truthy - you seem mixed up to me..

Last edited by Tytonidae on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tytonidae
Tytonidae
Supermod
Supermod

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytonidae Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Evening Primrose anyone? Laughing
Tytonidae
Tytonidae
Supermod
Supermod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next